Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Good heavens

Scripture tells us the Lord stretched out the heavens like a curtain (possibly a lot faster than the speed of light which may also explain how we can see them*).

It also tells us that the heavens shall "vanish like smoke". Look at the text in Isaiah 51:6 in yellow, shown below - it is addressing "you who know righteousness". These people appear to be in mid air - "look at the earth beneath".


Isa 51:4  "Give attention to me, my people, and give ear to me, my nation; for a law will go out from me, and I will set my justice for a light to the peoples.
Isa 51:5  My righteousness draws near, my salvation has gone out, and my arms will judge the peoples; the coastlands hope for me, and for my arm they wait.
Isa 51:6  Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look at the earth beneath; for the heavens vanish like smoke, the earth will wear out like a garment, and they who dwell in it will die in like manner; but my salvation will be forever, and my righteousness will never be dismayed.
Isa 51:7  "Listen to me, you who know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear not the reproach of man, nor be dismayed at their revilings.
Isa 51:8  For the moth will eat them up like a garment, and the worm will eat them like wool; but my righteousness will be forever, and my salvation to all generations."




I don't really buy that pre-trib rapture stuff but there is something here - "my salvation has gone out".
First of all, though, the man of sin must be revealed as Thessalonians makes clear.


2Th 2:3  Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,
2Th 2:4  who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.


'rebellion' is:-

ἀποστασία
apostasia
ap-os-tas-ee'-ah
Feminine of the same as G647; defection from truth (properly the state), (“apostasy”): - falling away, forsake.


Perhaps we see something of this coming rebellion in the phrase "fear not the reproach of man, nor be dismayed at their revilings" in the passage above? :-



So, we who believe have that coming at us. Nothing new, then :).

However, we are wise to endure all this :-

Heb 12:26  At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, "Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens."
Heb 12:27  This phrase, "Yet once more," indicates the removal of things that are shaken--that is, things that have been made--in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain.
Heb 12:28  Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe,
Heb 12:29  for our God is a consuming fire. 



........................................................

*The cosmic background radiation indicates we are at the centre of the universe. The physics of the universe out there may be 'universally' quite different to what it is at the centre. Galaxies at the far edge of what we can see of the universe appear to be in the same well formed state as our own - this is in line with the universe being stretched out as some incredible speed after it was initially created. Big bang would have galaxies still developing towards the edge of the expansion vector. The more the evidence comes in, the more we understand that scientists should have stuck to the scriptural revelation in the first place. Scripture tells us He stretched out the heavens by 'His understanding'. If scientists were to start thinking along the lines I propose, they would be freer to come up with something nearer to an explanation, now that they could factor in divine intelligence, 'His understanding'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment